February Lee Connection
The polar vortex may be cooling off the weather, but the FLASC schedule is just warming up! We have another great month full of activities, including our luncheon (where we’ll learn cake decorating techniques– see page 4), a trip to the movies for the kiddos (see page 5), and an outing to our capitol to see our Virginia government in action (see page 3)! We will also
enjoy a wine tasting and appetizers for our February Outing , so bring a spouse or friend along to enjoy a great night out. (RSVPs for the outing are due today, so be sure to RSVP if you haven’t already!)
For those of you with students (or who are students yourselves), I’ve included three wonderful scholarship opportunities for military dependents and local students. Be sure to check out the FLASC scholarship (below), plus the information on pages 6 & 7 for additional local scholarships.
Don’t let the cold weather keep you cooped up this February– bundle up and come on out!
Sub Clubs to the Rescue!
Looking to connect with local spouses? Try a sub club!
We have SEVEN to choose from this month:
· FLASC Community Connection: Friday, February 1 from 11:30 am-2 pm at the Colonial Heights Food Pantry. Please see the flyer on page 4 for more details.
· FLASC Chatter and Scatter: Saturday, February 9 to see The Lego Movie: The Second Part at
Destination Theater in Hopewell. Please see the flyer on page 5 for details.
· FLASC BYOC (Bring Your Own Craft!): February 11 from 6-9 pm at Memorial Chapel. For more information, find us on Facebook: FLASC BYOC (Bring Your Own Craft!)
· FLASC Epicurious Club: Wednesday, February 13 at 6 pm at El Caporal in Colonial Heights. See flyer above for more information or find us on Facebook: FLASC Epicurious Club.
· FLASC River City Explorers: Friday, February 22 at 10:15 am in Richmond. Please see flyer above for more details.
· FLASC Bunco: Friday, February 22 at 6 pm at the Quartermaster Museum. For more information, find us on Facebook: Ft Lee Bunco.
· FLASC Book Club: Monday, February 25 at 6 pm at Memorial Chapel. We will be reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. Contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or find us on Facebook: FLASC Book Club.
· FLASC Brewer’s Delight: Due to an increase in illnesses and a decrease in participation, Brewer’s Delight will not be meeting this month.
This month we will be collecting items for Fisher House. They particularly need
toothbrushes, toothpaste and mouthwash (including travel size), disposable coffee cups with lids and Styrofoam to-go boxes. Please bring your items to our February luncheon.
Need Childcare for the Luncheons?
FLASC has been working with the CDC over the last few months to provide hourly care at the full-day care facilities during our monthly luncheons . If you’re interested in booking hourly care for our monthly luncheons but have had trouble finding space through the CDC, please contact Jessica at FLASCpublicity@gmail.com.
The Fort Lee Thrift Shop
Do you have extra household items or clothing around your house?
Consider donating to the thrift shop!
Donations can be made during business hours or left in the shed outside of the shop.
Your donations of gently used and clean items are greatly appreciated. Please use separate bags for household items and clothing to help minimize any breakage.
The Thrift Shop also takes items for consignment.
Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Friday 9:30am-2pm and Thursday 4:30pm-7pm
Wednesday & Friday 9:30am-11:45am
and Thursday 4:30pm -6:30pm
Location: The Corner of Lee and B Avenues.
Check out the Fort Lee Thrift Shop
Facebook page for weekly sales! www.facebook.com/Fortleethriftshop
Our January Adventures
We had plenty of fun during the month of January! Our Minute to Win It-themed January luncheon was a huge hit, with many of our members taking part in hilarious 60-second games like picking up pretzels using a kabob stick and moving eggs using a spoon (pictured below.) Our River City Explorers group received a tour of the Virginia Executive Mansion by the First Lady of Virginia, Mrs. Pamela Northam (below), and our Bunco group had a great turnout and a hilarious evening (pictured right.) We hope to see you next month for our February events!