January Lee Connection
It’s January, if you can believe it! I have to say, I always imagined 2019 to be “the future”- flying cars, amazing medical discoveries, and all the rest. While it’s true that we do have tiny computers in our pockets and can get food and gifts delivered to our homes with the click of a button, most of our day-to-day activities have stayed the same for years: taking care of our families, meeting up with friends, and giving back to the community. We have so many great events this month, from our Minute to Win It luncheon, to a tour of the Virginia Executive Mansion, to volunteering at the Colonial Heights Food Pantry, and we’d love to share these activities with you, our amazing members. I hope you’ll join me in January 2019, “the future”, in some timeless activities: breaking bread with our friends (and making new ones in the process!), helping our Fort Lee community, and exploring our area by trying out new restaurants and discovering local landmarks. See you in 2019!
A Special River City Explorers Meet Up
This month’s River City Explorers meet up is a more formal event: a tour of Virginia’s Executive Mansion in Richmond! Because this event is being coordinated with the Executive Mansion staff, this will be a FLASC members-only event. When RSVPing (see flyer, right for information), please give your legal name and be prepared to show ID at the beginning of the tour. In addition, we ask that you dress appropriately for the venue, in business casual (or nicer) clothing. The tour should last approximately 1 to 1.5 hours, and will be led by an Executive Mansion staff member. If you have any questions about the event or would like to RSVP, please contact Mel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your understanding, and a special thank you to Mel Sanchez for setting up this event!
Sub Clubs to the Rescue!
Looking to connect with local spouses? Try a sub club! We have ELEVEN to choose from this month:
· FLASC Epicurious Club: Monday, January 7 at 6 pm at Hokkaido in Hopewell. Contact Jessica at FLASCpublicity@gmail.com for more information or find us on Facebook: FLASC Epicurious Club.
· FLASC Lunch Bunch: Thursday, January 10 at 12 pm at Rosa’s Italian Ristorante in Hopewell. For more information, find us on Facebook: FLASC Lunch Bunch.
· FLASC Click and Sip: Friday, January 11 (time and location TBD.) For more information, find us on Facebook: FLASC Click and Sip.
· FLASC BYOC (Bring Your Own Craft!): Monday, January 14 from 6-9 pm at Memorial Chapel. For more information, find us on Facebook: FLASC BYOC (Bring Your Own Craft!)
· FLASC River City Explorers: Thursday, January 17 at 12:30 pm in Richmond. Please see page 2 for more details.
· FLASC Brewer’s Delight: Tuesday, January 22 at 10 am, location TBD. Children are welcome at this event! For more information, find us on Facebook: FLASC Brewer’s Delight.
· FLASC Chatter and Scatter: Thursday, January 24 at 10:30 at the Prince George Library for Story Time. For more information, find us on Facebook: FLASC Chatter and Scatter.
· FLASC Community Connection: Friday, January 25 from 11 am-1 pm at the Colonial Heights Food Pantry. Please see the flyer on page 4 for more details.
· FLASC Bunco: Friday, January 25 at 6 pm. For more information, find us on Facebook: Ft Lee Bunco.
· FLASC Book Club: Monday, January 28 at 6 pm at Memorial Chapel. We will be reading Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. Contact Stephanie at
email@example.com for more information or find us on Facebook: FLASC Book Club.
· FLASC Outdoor Adventures: This month we will be going ice skating. Date and location TBD. For updates, find us on Facebook: FLASC Outdoor Adventures.
Our outreach this month is collecting school supplies for the Prince George Education Center. Donations can be brought to our January Luncheon.
Need Childcare for the
FLASC has been working with the CDC over the last few months to provide hourly care at the full-day care facilities during our monthly luncheons . If you’re interested in booking hourly care for our monthly luncheons but have had trouble finding space through the CDC, please contact Jessica at FLASCpublicity@gmail.com.
The Fort Lee Thrift Shop
Do you have extra household items or clothing around your house?
Consider donating to the thrift shop!
Donations can be made during business hours or left in the shed outside of the shop.
The Thrift Shop also takes items for consignment.
Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Friday 9:30am-2pm and Thursday 4:30pm-7pm
Wednesday & Friday 9:30am-11:45am
and Thursday 4:30pm -6:30pm
Location: The Corner of Lee and B Avenues.
Check out the Fort Lee Thrift Shop
Facebook page for weekly sales! www.facebook.com/Fortleethriftshop
Our December Adventures
We had so much fun last month, we forgot to take pictures! Even though our December Luncheon was cancelled due to that crazy snowstorm we had, several of our sub clubs met throughout the month. BYOC (Bring Your Own Craft!) met at Memorial Chapel, where some of our members met to work on Christmas cards, jewelry, and holiday dresses, to name a few. Book Club met to discuss the true story of President Washington’s pursuit of his runaway slave, Community Connection helped out at the Holiday Helper Association, and Brewer’s Delight met at Demolition Coffee in Petersburg to enjoy delicious coffee and treats. Members of our executive board also presented a check to the Quartermaster Museum (pictured right). We hope to see you at one of our great events in January!